Successful commercial real estate developer Raanan Katz is something of an enigma. Lots of people know of him, but very few – outside of his team of advisors at RK Centers – actually know much about him.
Obviously, that’s largely by design. Raanan Katz has never been one to seek public attention, and he definitely prefers to keep his private life private. Still, in speaking with some of his managers and employees, we were able to take a quick peek “behind the curtain” and find out a little bit about what he’s actually like.
With that in mind, here are five things you might not have known about commercial real estate expert and Miami Heat minority owner Raanan Katz:
1. He played professional basketball himself. Raanan Katz was once a promising prospect from the Israeli professional basketball league, and the last person to be cut from the Boston Celtics. As a player, he was known for being fiercely competitive and having a reliable outside shot. It’s no wonder that he holds on to such a passion for the game today.
2. Raanan Katz takes very calculated business risks. Unlike a lot of his contemporaries, Raanan Katz didn’t build his fortune through wild speculations or stock market fluctuation. In fact, his associates say that, even though he isn’t afraid to take big risks, he likes to limit exposure by doing lots of research. In other words, he never gives his time or money without looking carefully at the possibilities first.
3. He always keeps an eye on the details. You’d think that someone who had earned millions of dollars, and built a highly successful company, would spend their days delegating tasks to underlings. That’s not the case with Raanan Katz, however. Friends and employees say it isn’t unusual to find him inspecting corners of commercial properties himself, which is indicative of his “hands-on” approach to running RK Centers.
4. Raanan Katz has ties to basketball that spread farther than the NBA. Although he is best known for being part of the Miami Heat ownership group, most people don’t realize that Raanan Katz also has lots of ties to the Israeli professional basketball league, and even sponsors a number of scholarships related to the game. This is partly due to strategic partnerships, but mostly because he simply loves to see basketball and watch players and teams develop.
5. He is widely admired by his closest friends and colleagues. While media outlets like to portray Raanan Katz as being distant and inaccessible, those closer to him tell a different story. They say he is friendly, engaging, and very giving once you get to know him, but that he prefers to keep his personal and family life outside of the public eye.
He isn’t likely to open up and start doing lots of interviews anytime soon, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t some things we can learn about him, or more importantly from him. Very few people have ever been so successful, and the more you learn about the man, the easier it is to see why.